Llywodraethwyr/Governors

GB Report to Parents 20/21/22

School Development Plan

Poverty and Deprivation Grant

Pwy ydy Pwy/ Who’s Whom

Mr Andrew Griffiths

Hi, my name is Andrew Griffiths, I have been a Governor for over twelve years in one form or another, I am currently an additional Community Governor and was previously a parent governor for eight years.

My journey as governor began when my then children started attending Manorbier School, I was greatly impressed by the teaching at the school and at the time had two of my old school friends teaching there, one of whom is now the Headteacher.

My Children who are now grown up had a wonderful time in school with my son given fantastic support with his dyspraxia, The ethos & Philosophy taught in Manorbier School is awe inspiring, giving these young people a great start in life.

I was born in Manorbier & grew up in St Florence and like most children attended Greenhill School as a teenager, I captained Manorbier youth football team and St Florence 1st team.

I am also a keen musician having played in a local band for many years.

I began my working life in the building Trade before joining Dyfed-Powys Police as a dreaded Traffic Warden which I carried on for eighteen years before joining as a Police Community Support Officer, a role which has given me the opportunity to visit my local schools on a regular basis, especially Manorbier School where we have built trust & rapport with the young people over the years which will carry on when they attend Secondary School and beyond.

I live locally in Jameston with my wife Ali and son Ewan, in my spare time I am the unit leader for Pembroke Volunteer Police Cadets, I like to play the guitar ,look after my Grand Daughter & watch Wales lose Rugby matches.

Mr Gareth Bain

Hello my name is Gareth Bain and I have been a Parent Governor at Manorbier School for the last 8 years and Vice Chair for the last 3 years. I became a Governor as a way of offering my support to the school and playing an active role in the education of my two boys Liam and Kaleb. Liam has now moved on to Greenhill and Kaleb is currently in year 5 having started his time at Manorbier School as one of the very first Ducklings, how time flies! Both boys have absolutely loved their time at the school and really benefited from the nurturing, caring and positive environment at the school. I have always thought that if I was their age again I’d love to go to Manorbier School.

I was born in Inverness, Scotland (it’s a long story) and raised in my mums hometown of Bakewell, Derbyshire in the Peak District. I attended Bakewell Methodist Junior School before attending Lady Manners School for my secondary education. I stayed until 6th Form and studied for my A ‘levels in Sociology, Art and Religious Studies and played Rugby for the 1st VX, Derbyshire County XV and the combined Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire and Derbyshire XV. I studied for my degree in Sociology at the University of Derby and was Vice Captain and Captain of the Rugby 1st XV in my second and third years respectively. I’ve also Captained Derbyshire Police Rugby 1st XV and played for Tenby and Dyfed Powys police.

I have been a Police Officer for 17 years, beginning my career in Derby city in 2004. In 2008 I transferred to Dyfed-Powys Police after moving to Pembrokeshire with my partner Katie. I have been stationed in Pembroke Dock, Tenby and HQ. I have been a PC on Response, Youth offending Team, a frontline Tutor Constable and PSU (riot police). I am currently a DC on SB seconded to WECTU.

After finishing playing rugby in 2010, following a serious wrist injury, I really got into surfing and I go surfing at Manorbier or Fresh West whenever I can. I now coach Pembroke Rugby under 10’s and 13’s which I find really challenging and rewarding.

In my spare time I love going to the beach, reading, watching rugby, playing sports, board games and Xbox with the boys, collecting/repairing/wearing/looking at watches and doing Lego! I also love Star Wars, Christmas, Alan Partridge and cats!  

Mrs Joan Stace

Hello, my name is Joan Stace and I have the privilege and honour of being Chair of Governors of Manorbier V C School, a very forward thinking and innovative School with positive leadership from the head teacher. The well being of all pupils and staff is paramount and the aim is that pupils reach their full potential, whatever their ability. Staff development is at the core of this strategy. I see my role as Chair, to be able to listen, observe and to be a critical friend to the Head.

Educated in Pembroke Dock, I began my teaching career in Tiptree Secondary School in Essex before the magic of Pembrokeshire drew me back home.

I was very fortunate that during my formative teaching years the Education Department in Pembrokeshire helped and enabled me to experience and develop all aspects of the spectrum of teaching and therefore my educational journey has been fascinating, inspirational and very enjoyable.

On returning home, my first teaching post was at The Avenue Centre for Children with Special Needs and this experience proved to be invaluable as my career progressed, helping me develop empathy and understanding for children both inside and outside of the classroom. I taught in Junior Schools before returning to my first love of Secondary Teaching when I joined the staff at Bush School Pembroke (my old School) and I set up the Sociology Department taking the subject from Social Sciences at the then GSCE level to Sociology at both “O” and “A” level. We were the first Secondary School in Pembrokeshire to introduce Sociology into the Curriculum. I also taught adults at “O” and “A” level at evening classes in Pembroke Dock Further Education Centre

After retiring, my husband, Nev and I set up a family Care Home for Adults with Learning Difficulties and I still have my “special family of 4” people.

For many years I’ve been involved in the Manorbier Community Hall  project and I’m delighted that at last it’s being built, it will be so wonderful to see it up and running.

The Manorbier minibus is on hold due to Covid but when restrictions are lifted we hope to have that asset back for the community.

Over the last 4 years I’ve been creating a grass garden known as The Accidental Garden ie if it grows, great – if not, remove it!!! My knowledge of gardening is through “Books, TV, Google and U tube,” learning all the time, it’s challenging and enjoyable!!!. As soon as Covid rules allow, I look forward to welcoming the children from School to use it as an extension of their outdoor learning experience for pond dipping, wild life and science activities etc. Plus, the attraction for the children of my soppy Golden Retriever, Cassie, who is a Pat trained therapy dog!

Mrs Jo Mount

Hello, my name is Joanne Mount and I have been a Governor at Manorbier School for 2 years. Due to Covid, interaction with the staff and pupils has been restricted, but I have  however experienced the positive, caring atmosphere in the school as a volunteer. I volunteered one morning a week with the younger pupils for a number of years, and will continue to do so when I am allowed to.
I taught pupils with additional needs for 37 years and have a particular interest in this aspect of education. I worked as a peripatetic special needs teacher in a number of primary schools in Pembrokeshire and was SENCO in Greenhill School. I also taught
A Level Sociology and Psychology in Greenhill School.
Much of my time is taken up with ponies, gardening and my dog. My daughter’s family has recently returned to Pembrokeshire, and I can often be found at local attractions with my young granddaughter.

Mrs Suzanne Pearton Scale

Hello my name is Suzanne Pearton-Scale. I have been a parent governor at Manorbier VCP School for over 2 years. I grew up in Cardiff, but my family are from Pembrokeshire so I moved here 4 years ago. My daughter Ava joined Manorbier in Year 3 and adored her time there.

I worked as a Drama and English teacher in high schools for many years, afterwards specialising in Special Education Needs and worked in Special Needs schools and charities supporting SEN adults into the workplace. I then went on to work with Deaf children and adults and speak fluent British Sign Language. I am now a British Sign Language Interpreter, working in the NHS and local colleges and schools. I believe in inclusivity and accessibility for all due to my work in SEN/ALN and the Deaf community.

I teach drama and dance in the community. I have taught drama and dance classes to children for 20+years and love anything to do with the theatre! I have a passion for the arts and believe that the arts can be a fantastic medium for education and self-confidence.

I am currently training to become a psychologist and counsellor, so youth mental health is very important to me, especially in light of the recent pandemic and how it has affected our children.

I also live on an off-grid eco small holding. I love crochet, reading and watching a good drama.  As a family we are passionate about climate change and sustainability. I sell chicken eggs from my flock of retiring factory chickens and make and sell natural soaps and bathbombs in local fayres. As a family, we believe in the importance of rural communities and ‘going local’.